Corellas Denied Plate
Corellas Denied Plate
A late penalty goal in extra time has seen the NSW Country Corellas fall short in taking out the Plate Final at the BuildCorp National Women’s Championships at Runaway Bay.
Australian Services claimed the Plate Final 10 – 7 in a match which saw the scores locked at seven all at both half time and full time, before the late penalty goal sealed the victory.
Both the Corellas and Australian Services had finished third in their respective pools, and both were keen to take home the silverware and also claim fifth spot at the Championships.
Services hit the ground running and posted a converted try in the opening minutes to go out to a seven point lead, and it took desperate defence by the Corellas to stop additional scoring in the early part of the half.
The Corellas rallied and worked their way back into the match, but their efforts were halted by determined Services defence, until they crossed for a converted try right on half time.
The second half was an arm wrestle with the match basically played between the two twenty metre lines, with neither side able to score, and the match went into extra time.
With the clock winding down in extra time it looked like the Plate Trophy was going to be shared, but the deadlock was broken when Australian Services kicked a pressure penalty goal to take out the match.
Coach Michael Burgess said the championships had been a learning experience for the Corellas squad, as more than fifty percent of the players were making their debuts at the tournament. He went on say the championships were an important part in the development of Australian Women’s Rugby, as it provided players with the level of competition required to be competitive for the Wallaroos.
Pool 1 Results
• ACT 23 – NSW Country 0
• ACT 5 – Queensland 3
• ACT 17 – Victoria 3
• NSW Country 22 – Victoria 7
• Queensland 22 – NSW Country 0
• Queensland 29 – Victoria 0
Pool 2 Results
• Australian Services 24 – South Australia 0
• Sydney 68 – Australian Services 0
• Sydney 39 – South Australia 0
• Sydney 13 – Western Australia 0
• Western Australia 19 – Australian Services 0
• Western Australia 20 – South Australia 0
• Sydney 34 – ACT 0 - BuildCorp Championship Final
• Australian Services 10 - NSW Country 7 – BuildCorp Plate Final
• Queensland 27 - Western Australia 13 – 3rd & 4th Play Off
• South Australia 17 - Victoria 12 – 7th & 8th Play Off